atom feed13 messages in org.foaf-project.lists.foaf-protocolsRe: [foaf-protocols] The Universal Ke...
FromSent OnAttachments
Melvin CarvalhoMay 6, 2011 2:53 pm
peter williamsMay 6, 2011 5:20 pm
Melvin CarvalhoMay 6, 2011 5:31 pm
peter williamsMay 6, 2011 5:48 pm
Melvin CarvalhoMay 6, 2011 5:53 pm
peter williamsMay 6, 2011 6:21 pm
peter williamsMay 6, 2011 6:28 pm
Melvin CarvalhoMay 6, 2011 6:42 pm
Henry StoryMay 7, 2011 12:33 am
peter williamsMay 7, 2011 3:23 am
peter williamsMay 7, 2011 1:47 pm
peter williamsMay 9, 2011 5:39 pm
Henry StoryMay 10, 2011 7:03 am
Subject:Re: [foaf-protocols] The Universal Key : how to securely create one key for PGP , X.509 and WebID
From:Melvin Carvalho (melv@gmail.com)
Date:May 6, 2011 6:42:20 pm
List:org.foaf-project.lists.foaf-protocols

On 7 May 2011 03:28, peter williams <home@msn.com> wrote:

Here is one trust metric http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1023646.1023648.

There are a thousand more. Just look.

My general point is that PGP trust metric is useless beyond 10 people, working in general society. But, you start to see what the elements of the dynamic system need to be. They are a balancing act. IN general, no one has found a balancing act that fits a large number of normal-life needs.

But, that TBL's job. Did it once before.

Thanks for the pointer! Graph Theory was always my favorite subject at uni.

I guess there's a few approaches. But we dont need to go from 0 to 100% in one iteration. We just need to do enough to make a system usable practical and extensible.

I'll do some thinking and see if I can create a practical prototype that can add some value to the ecosystem..

-----Original Message----- From: peter williams [mailto:home@msn.com] Sent: Friday, May 06, 2011 6:22 PM To: 'Melvin Carvalho' Cc: 'foaf@lists.foaf-project.org' Subject: RE: [foaf-protocols] The Universal Key : how to securely create one key for PGP , X.509 and WebID

Absolutely. Given a chain of certs (woops, I mean linked data graph relating webids), do what DARPA had RSA do 2 decades ago for a series of n DNs related by a cert chain (.p7c file). For each such file (link set) you can find in your cache, given n links in m chains ( of a different (n) links), find out which chain is "strongest". Use that one (not the n-1 other) when deciding if its pubkey is "authentic". Thereafter, assume that some signed service is not spoofed (because its endpoint ties by math to the certified key, which is at confidence level C, which is  greater than your minimum for confidence).

If you look at the GNU-PGP (command-line) implementation, it kinda illustrates how the "contribution of n recommendations" gets reduced to a metric. If n people black ball P on M's keyring, and the n people are all have good reputations from M's perspective, than its bye bye P-peter, in terms of reputation.

Anyone caring to ask M for his opinion about P gets "how M would have behaved" in the circumstances.

It' just a variant of experimental theory. Score the results a particular way, in order to tease out the "significance" of some dominating factor in a set of not-independent factors. Perhaps you discover the formulation of penicillin, finally. Or, pick some other experimental design, teasing out causal relations that imply a different qualify of trust. Or, follow the Gaddaffi rule...(eliminate false positives).

-----Original Message----- From: Melvin Carvalho [mailto:melv@gmail.com] Sent: Friday, May 06, 2011 5:54 PM To: peter williams Cc: foaf@lists.foaf-project.org Subject: Re: [foaf-protocols] The Universal Key : how to securely create one key for PGP , X.509 and WebID